COVID-19 - We are open for business and here to help ->
Call now on 01494 776 696
Arrangements for Children in Divorce

Divorce & Child Arrangement Solicitors Beaconsfield, Berkhamsted & Harrow

The family lawyers at Breakthrough Family Law have many years’ experience when it comes to handling matters relating to child law, dealing with all issues that arise when a relationship breaks down. Disputes involving children can be some of the most challenging; we will provide legal advice in a clear, straightforward and understanding way throughout. Our child law solicitors are experts in helping divorcing and separating couples negotiate the most positive solutions for children, both formal and informal.

"Breakthrough’s team negotiated joint custody of our child on the basis of what was best for him. Thank you Catherine for guiding us so skilfully through the process."

M Rose

Call us now on 01494 776 696 or Click here to make an online enquiry and you will soon be talking with one of our children law specialists.

What to consider when arranging where the child shall live?

When deciding where your children will live, you should consider which parent has the most time to look after the children and to spend quality time with them, and when this would best take place. Decisions about this might be influenced by what type of work you and your ex-spouse do and where you are going to live. Finding an arrangement that is convenient for the children is important. It may be easiest for them to live with a particular parent so they do not have far to travel to get to school, for example.

If your children are not going to live with you, you will need to establish contact arrangements with your ex-partner, including where, when and how often you will see them. If you and your ex-spouse do not want to speak on the phone or meet in person, a friend or family member who is willing to pass information between you can make things easier for you and your children.

How should I make arrangements with my ex-partner?

You can agree informally with your ex-partner on where your child should live and how and when they will spend time with each parent. If you have difficulty agreeing, our family solicitors can help you resolve issues and negotiate a fair arrangement so that you maintain regular contact with your children. We always do everything possible to keep negotiations out of court to ensure your arrangement is made in the quickest, most cost-effective and least stressful way possible.  

How can I make sure my ex-partner sticks to our arrangements?

A good way of ensuring that arrangements go ahead as agreed is by making a ‘parenting plan’. This is a written record of what has been agreed, offering both parties clarification on what their responsibilities are and can be referred back to if any problems arise in the future. A parenting plan can be completed with your solicitor’s help and can be changed at a later date if both parties agree to this.

What if I want an agreement that is legally binding?

A legally binding agreement can be made with the help of your family lawyer. Breakthrough Family Law’s team can work with you to draft a ‘consent order’ confirming all the details about how your children will be taken care of after your divorce. You will have to pay a fee to have this recognised by the court. The judge is likely to approve the order if they believe it is in the interests of your children.

Contact our Child Law Solicitors in Berkhamsted Beaconsfield, Chesham and Chorleywood

Breakthrough Family Law’s experienced child arrangement lawyers serve clients in Beaconsfield, Berkhamsted, Chesham and Chorleywood. We know how challenging divorce proceedings can be; we will work tirelessly to get the best result for you and your children. If you need advice on child arrangements following the breakdown of your relationship, contact us today on 01494 776 696 or Click here to make an online enquiry to arrange an appointment with one of our team.

"I had no hesitation in recommending Breakthrough to my friend. I only wish I had used them myself... They had acted for my ex-husband!"

A Garland

Make A Free Enquiry

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a subject
Please let us know your message.
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Please provide the name of the other party so we can check that we have not given them legal advice in the past. This information will be kept confidential.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Call now to discuss your circumstances 01494 776 696